Lexus rx achieves the best-ever pedestrian protection score out of all large suvs ever tested by euro ncap
- Maximum 5-star rating achieved by the new Lexus RX
- Best pedestrian protection score ever-achieved by a large SUV
- Lexus Safety System+ offers as standard equipment all safety assist features tested by Euro NCAP
The Lexus RX has been awarded the prestigious Euro NCAP five-star rating. The scores for all the respective tested areas were well above the minimum required to achieve five stars, and rank the new Lexus as one of the very safest vehicles in its segment.
The Lexus RX scored 91% for "Adult Occupant", 82% for "Child Occupant", 79% for "Pedestrian Protection" and 77% for "Safety Assist".
With an overall score of 79%, the RX has the best pedestrian protection score of all large SUVs ever tested by Euro NCAP.
Commenting on the Pedestrian Protection category, Euro NCAP highlighted the maximum points scored by the RX for the protection provided to pedestrian's legs and to the pelvic region, head protection was also predominantly good. In this particular field, Lexus is even ahead of the curve as the autonomous emergency braking system offered on all RX actively detects pedestrians. This system could not be rewarded in this evaluation as it will only be assessed by Euro NCAP as from 2016.
Euro NCAP also underlined that all features evaluated for "Safety Assist" are offered as standard equipment in the RX.
The RX is indeed providing as standard the most advanced and comprehensive set of active safety features on any premium crossover, the Lexus Safety System+ includes:
- Pre-Crash System that uses a front-mounted camera and millimetre-wave radar to detect vehicles and pedestrians on the road ahead.
- Adaptive Cruise Control, which helps the driver maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front, even at very low speeds.
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA) and Lane-Keeping Assist (LKA), which recognise when the new RX is deviating from its lane on the highway and help the driver steer the vehicle safely back to its correct path.
- Automatic High Beam, which detects oncoming traffic and vehicles ahead and automatically switches the headlights between high and low beam.
- The Road Sign Assist system that uses a front camera to recognise principal warning and command signs, which are then replicated on the multi-information display, reducing the risk of the driver not being aware speed limits, lane closures and other important information.
Even though not considered by Euro NCAP, Lexus RX is further equipped with optional Blind Spot Monitor, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, Sway Warning which detects the signs of driver drowsiness and 360° Panoramic View Monitor dedicated to protecting its occupants and pedestrians.
Results by Euro NCAP : http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/lexus/rx/22034